Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Inconvenient Slice


Today, I was craving some pizza delivery.  It's been a stressful week to say the least, and I just wanted some bad-for-me-Hawaiian pizza pie.  So, I get online and order delivery from Domino's like usual.  Then, the cell phone rings.  Yep, it's Domino's.

Me:  Hello.
DP:  Hi, is this Mary?
Me: Yes.
DP:  I'm sorry, but delivery service is not available at the moment.  My driver didn't show up for work.  Can you come and do a carryout.
Me:  [audible sigh].  Yes.  How long?
DP:  25-30 minutes.
Click.

So, I put on some non-pajama clothes and drive up the street.  I get to the shop and there is a Domino's pizza guy standing awkwardly outside the store.  I go to open the door and it's locked.

DPG:  Yeah, my boss locked me out.  He went to do a delivery and locked me out because I was late.
Me:  Oh.

What?

Enter 3 long minutes of awkward waiting outside the shop with the DPG.  Boss returns, and both employees are just in a horrible mood.

Manager:  Sorry Ma'am, but I haven't made your food yet.  Do you mind waiting a little longer?  I'll give you your order for free.
Me:  Okay.

So, I'm sitting there quietly waiting and sitting watching these two young men in anger and frustration make my food.  I could have been irate because I had to drag my butt to Domino's or because I had to wait even longer for my pizza to be made.  YET, the first thing I feel like doing is praying.  I think it will help them and what the heck else am I doing but sitting there like an awkward fool.  So, I pray.  I ask St. Therese to pray for them as well and I start praying to convert their souls.  I continue to say things like I wanted their souls to experience peace and love and it was a true moment.

When I left, the poor guy who was late gave me my order.  I smiled and told him I hoped his day gets better.  I also said (like a crazy therapist) that he could make the choice this very moment to start the day over and make it count.  He smiled back (probably shaking his head at the crazy lady), and I hope it made a difference.

The best thing that happened to me today was inconvenience.  The best thing that happened to me today was that Domino's wasn't able to deliver my pizza.  The best thing that happened to me today was that I could pray for strangers, and I adored it.

Make the best of every situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment