Friday, October 21, 2011

Minus the Meat


When I do my weekly meal planning, I try to have at least one meal each week without meat.  Why?  To be a little frugal.  But, I'm considering changing it to a "meatless Friday" situation instead of a random day each week.  You are probably asking yourself, again, "WHY?!!"  "Don't you like meat?"  Yes, I like meat, crazy.

But, did you know that the Catholic Church still recommends that the faithful abstain from meat on all Fridays throughout the year?  That's right.  Every Friday.

Most people stopped this practice after the Second Vatican Council in the 1960's.  At that point, the Church no longer "required" the faithful to practice this, but it is still "recommended."  Semantics issue, anyone?  The church "recommends" that if you don't abstain from meat on Fridays, you should still do some other form of penance.  Yep.

Personally, eating a cheese pizza on a Friday doesn't always seem like a form of "penance."  But, if I'm craving a ginormous chunk of loafy meat, then I'm in sacrifice city.  For me, I think the purpose in resurrecting this practice is for me to think about Jesus and His sacrifice a little more throughout the week, even if it is just on days I meal plan and Fridays.

I challenge you to think of a penance to do on Fridays.  It can only bring about more good in your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment