Monday, March 22, 2010

Health Care Reform and Catholicism

I heard this today, and I was speechless.  Apparently, in the health care reform bill recently passed by the U.S. House, there are religious exemptions.  Christian Scientist and Amish individuals are exempt from paying and purchasing healthcare insurance because it violates their religious beliefs.

So, what about me?  The bill provides taxpayer (me) dollars to pay for abortions.  As a Catholic, my faith dictates that abortion is a mortal sin.  In fact, it's MURDER.  I feel like my religious freedom is being stomped on!  How can you discriminate against other religions who also have seriously belief issues over this bill and allow others to be exempt?  Can the government do this legally?  I think NOT!

Besides all the other things in the bill that I find appauling (the cost, mandated health insurance purchase, the government having it's hand in 1/6 of the economy, the government controlling health care...this list could go on forever), I find the religious discrimination absolutely OUTRAGEOUS.  Why in the world did my pilgrim ancestors come over on the Mayflower if it was going to end up like this?

I am so livid.

No comments:

Post a Comment