Sunday, May 22, 2011

To TV or Not to TV...



That is the question.

Like most people, I use television to get a lot of my news information and to de-stress after a long day of work, grad school, and other stressful things.  But, more and more I find myself mindlessly flipping through 200 channels with nothing to watch.  Sex, violence, and morally questionable shows seem to be everywhere, and I just don't find it entertaining anymore.  Even dramatic television series' like "Grey's Anatomy" and "Private Practice" just seem to annoy me more than anything, especially "Private Practice."  Every episode just seems to be so morally controversial, and I am just frustrated.

I spoke with one of my friends over the weekend about how I was going to change my U-Verse service.  Before I could answer, she asked if I was adding premium channels or moving up to the U300 package.  When I told her I was decreasing my service from the U200 package to the U-Family package, she seemed a little dumbfounded.  I explained to her that I don't really watch many of the channels and I could save about $15 per month by downsizing my package.  Then she said something kinda hurtful:  Can you do that?  You're not a family.  You're just one person!  And she laughed.

I just brushed off her comment at the time, but it seemed like a dig.  Just because I'm single doesn't mean I'm not part of a family.  I explained to her it meant "family friendly" channels, but she just said "sure."  Sigh.

Well, I'm happy that I changed my package today.  I'm keeping my subscription to streaming Netflix so I can watch some of my favorite shows (ehem, Little House on the Prairie). :)

What do you think about downsizing your television package?  Do you watch all the channels?  Should you be?  Do you have better things to do with your time than managing your DVR?

No comments:

Post a Comment